Translate

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The 343

Beloved Cousin
Cerulean skies, not a cloud to be seen
the hint of a Summer-like breeze
dotting the windshield of my little blue car
a sample of premature autumn leaves
Gloriously happy I thanked the Lord God
for giving me a beautiful new day
Unaware I sang songs on my drive into work
of the evil that was coming my way
Without any warning the day turned to night
as the smoke and ash eclipsed the sun
The towers just crumbled like sand castles in ebb tide
as they came down to the ground one by one
The clock hands stood still
the silence deafened me
as people transformed into shadows of white

My heart seemed to stop
breath choked in my throat
as the sky turned into the night
For there on the screen, ready to roll
stood a fire truck enveloped in debris
The moment I saw it
I knew there was no hope
Eric was one of the the 343
One of the brave
the proud and the strong
who would lay down his life for a friend
Without any regard for one*s race or beliefs
he saved lives over and over again

Brothers and sisters, grandparents and friends, sons
daughters and parents were saved
as he ran into the building and sprinted up steps
and the clear sky turned smokey and gray
That is my solace as I think of him now
and our silly childhood memories
I often thank God for the brief times that we had
and for sharing His Eric with me


Marianne Hare
copyright 2007
Arthur T. Barry, FDNY, Friend


John Bergin, FDNY, Friend

Cira Patti, Neighbor

Michael Cammarata, FDNY, Business Colleague of his dad and uncle

Thomas Kelly, FDNY, Friend

Timothy McSweeney, FDNY, Neighbor

Peter Raimondi, Neighbor

Jane Baeszler, Fellow High School Grad

No comments:

Post a Comment