I don't believe that I have ever written down just how Glory Glory Gifts came into existence. It's an odd tale, but one that truly happened and it is a sheer miracle that it is still around all these years later. It is 18 years and 4 months that I've been doing it and I still love it.
Back in 2008, around my birthday, I was sitting in adoration for the Sunday, 3:00 P.M. hour, along with my co-adorers, Leo and Josephine (RIP Leo). If you don't know what adoration is, it is spending time with Jesus who Catholics (and Orthodox Christians) believe is actually present in the consecrated Eucharist through transubstantiation (transubstantiation occurs when the priest says the words of Jesus, "this IS my body...", which were said at the last supper). Our church had perpetual adoration at the time, meaning that at least one person was sitting with him 24/7/363. The Eucharist (host) is actually removed from the chapel on Holy Thursday and returned at midnight on Easter Sunday.The consecrated host is placed in what is called a monstrance and then in the chapel for all to adore and visit.
Back then, I had set hours at 3 P.M. on Sundays only. I eventually increased my hours over the years and signed up to substitute for others, so I was there very often. On that particular Sunday I was sitting in the front row on the left side and Leo and Josephine were sitting in the second row on the right side and we were alone in the chapel. It was then that I heard a man's voice, not with my ears, but still very audible and it said, "Bring prayer to those that no longer come to my Father's house." I heard it clear as day but it confused me, so I turned around to look at Leo. He was asleep (sorry for outing you Leo.) Josephine was deep in prayer with her lips moving and her eyes downcast. We were still alone. Then I heard it again, this time more stern and a bit louder, "Bring prayer to those that no longer come to my Father's house." This time it stuck and I have to admit I was a bit freaked out as I knew exactly what I heard and had zero clue how to do it.
Walking home from church, I started to contemplate it out loud and remember looking up to the heavens and saying okay, God. If that was you how am I supposed to do this and with what money? I walked into my house, closed the door, and immediately there was a knock on it. I opened it and there was a man standing there and he asked me, "is that car for sale," pointing to the one in the driveway. I said, "no." He said, "I will give you $500 cash for it." I again said, "no, it's not for sale," closing the door and shaking my head in disbelief. Now I'm totally freaked out btw. Some rando guy comes and knocks to see if a car is for sale? On a dead end street? What are the odds? So I figured, okay, that's a sign to line up funds and do what I was told to do in the chapel. I then went online and started to look for various ways to support this, without selling my car, and came across a website called Wholesale Catholic Gifts. All of the items were made in the holy land, specifically Israel, and I KNEW that I should work with them, purchase products, sell them and use the funds to propel my mission to success. That was the beginning of a long and amazing relationship with a lovely woman named Lena that lasted well into the 2,000's. Glory Glory Was started by my taking money out of my 401K and the total start up cost? $500. Initially, Tom and I sold our products at flea markets and fairs and prayer cards were given out as freebies, along with lovely little cards with holy land flowers on them. In 2010 the website was started. Around the same time, this blog was initiated, as well as our Facebook page, and in 2016 I changed my ebay account to a biz account and opened a small store. Since then, I have tripled the size of that.
Promoting prayer is still 100% my ultimate goal though how I do it has changed over the years. My first focus is to spread the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and the Rosary, but I'm also fully invested in teaching people how to pray correctly. Like, when you wear a saint medal, yes you have an outward devotion to that saint, but you should also have a spiritual connection with them as well. A saint medal isn't an amulet nor is it magical. You should pray to that saint daily and often and I will provide you with that prayer to say. If you purchase a rosary, you will receive instructions on how to say it fully. If you purchase a holy water bottle, or font, you will be provided with the Chaplet of Divine Mercy prayers. This way, everything that I sell has a spiritual meaning that is meant to enhance your prayer life. It's not a job; it's a vocation. All proceeds go to that vocation. Facebook is also used to promote prayer, anecdotes, information, history, and even an occasional joke, as is this blog. Most of all, that little locution that I heard 18 years ago, has brought me so extremely close to God. That's the true beauty of what this has done for me and my life.
He called and I listened and I'm still listening. This has been an absolute blessing. Every prayer I post, I say as well as prayers before meals, morning prayers, afternoon prayers, evening prayers daily. My favorites? The Chaplet, the Rosary, the Angelus, Saint Gertrude prayer for Souls in Purgatory, Saint Michael and Guardian angel prayers, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, the Act of Contrition and every Padre Pio and Saint Benedict prayer I come across. After all, how can I enhance the prayer lives of others, if I do not practice what I preach? In all honesty, I cannot.
That's the humble beginnings of Glory Glory Gifts.I thank thee, Lord, for opening my ears and heart to your calling. May I continue to do your will and do it well.
Peace to you all.
Mare
No comments:
Post a Comment