Translate

Monday, February 24, 2020

What Are You Doing for Lent?


St. Josemaria Escriva said, "Lent should suggest to us these basic questions: Am I advancing in my faithfulness to Christ, in my desire for holiness, in a generous apostolate in my daily life, in my ordinary work among my colleagues? … What better way to begin than Lent? Let’s renew our faith, hope and love."

I've decided that I'm tuning out and dropping off of a few social media sites this Lent. It is doing absolutely nothing for my soul, nor my temper, and sometimes I find myself getting into the stupidest arguments. Life is too short to be spent arguing with people on social media, that I don't know nor will ever meet, over inane things. Let me just interject something here though, I am giving up perusing my own personal Facebook and Twitter accounts, but I will still be updating the Glory Glory Gifts Facebook and The Word of God Bible Study Pages daily. Also, what I am mainly doing as far as preparation for Easter is between me and God. That's how your own personal prep should be ~ between you and God and nobody else.

Ash Wednesday is this week and just a reminder for you it is a day of abstinence from meat for those 14 years or older (and items made with meat) on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all the Fridays of Lent. Every person between the age of 18 and 59 (beginning of 60th year) must fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. If you are unable to fast for health reasons there are quite a lot of other things you can fast from, i.e. gaming, social media, treats like a trip to Starbucks for the latte of the month, movies, t.v. shows, dinners out,  or any other thing that you find that you have a hard time divorcing yourself from. The point of fasting is to share in the suffering of Christ on the cross, but it has another side to it as well. The money usually spent on those little extras that you are giving up should be given to the poor. 

Just as I love Advent, I love Lent too because I add to my daily routine of prayers and readings and it makes me feel so much closer to my Lord and my love. 

In addition to the fasting and alms giving that you will be doing say extra prayers daily too.  You can get daily reflections for Lent from many on-line sites. Say the rosary and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy daily. Go to Confession. Contemplate the Stations of the Cross, every day. Go to Mass daily and on the Sundays of Lent. Receive Communion. Give to the poor. Feed the hungry. Be kind to people that you meet in person and on the roads. Instead of checking on your elderly or disabled neighbors invite them into your home or surprise them with a meal or two. Just be kind and gentle with people or, in other words, be Jesus’ hands, heart and embodiment here on earth. As you feel the suffering from your fasting, unite it with Christ crucified. Find quiet time every day to spend with him in prayer and contemplation. Read the Bible every Day. The Gospels of Mark and Luke combined have 40 chapters, so that's a chapter a day. Matthew (my favorite at the moment) has 28 chapters, which gives you time to read and contemplate at a more leisurely pace. The Gospel of John has 21 chapters so you can even squeeze in a few of the Pauline epistles. The point is, just read the Bible every day. It's a wonderful way to immerse yourself in the life of Jesus and to remind you of the sacrifice that he made. BTW, Acts of the Apostles has 28 chapters.

Have a very blessed and beautiful Lenten season. I am looking forward to growing in faith and love this year and hope that you will join me in this beautiful season as we prepare for Easter and Our Lord's glorious resurrection.

Peace and love to you.

Mare



No comments:

Post a Comment