Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Acrobat

It was gorgeous  on my little island today. Of course, I headed outside into the yard to say my daily  prayers. While I was sitting there the tree leaves were a shaking and a shimmying in the back and I just had to stop for a second and see what the heck was going on. Well, it turns out it was a squirrel or tree rodent as Renee from Finding Bigfoot refers to them (yes, I love that show; it never ceases to make me laugh). Anyway, that little guy was like an acrobat on a high wire, expertly moving from one branch to the next and at one point the limb bending so low that he was literally hanging upside down. I had to stop and laugh at his tenacity. Of course, this is my favorite time of year because all the birds visit the tree as well, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins, and Starlings just to name a few.  I have seen them bobbing on the branches and retrieving their tasty treat, but this little guy today really takes the cake! Actually I am sure he would have come closer if I had a piece of cake in my hands. He is a brazen little guy given the fact that we have a pit bull in house. Nothing frustrates him more than the birds that seek refuge inside the branches of the rose bush. Normally that would freak me out, but I know they are safe and he is just doing what comes naturally to him; after all he is an animal. When it comes to the birds in the rosebush or the squirrels in the tree he can be intense to watch. Afterward the birds and squirrels make his and my presence known to any of their friends within squawking and chattering distance, which is just so delightful. What can I say? Simple pleasures for a simple mind.

The acrobat was exactly what I needed today. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful all creatures can be, even humans, but they can also be cruel. The sad thing is that animals are not cruel; they are doing what is innate in them in order to survive. It is the humans that put thought into their actions, that say what they want when they want without thinking of the others feelings. Truly I think the world is spinning out of control. Now I am not talking about economies, which are faltering to say the least, religion or politics I am simply talking about how people treat each other. Why is it so surprising that someone would hold a door open for the next person to enter?  It is because the usual behavior is that the door is slammed in your face. What gives people the right to belittle others with what they say? To gossip behind others backs? Aside from that I look at all the garbage on t.v. With thousands of channels I can usually find just about one program to watch (not including Bigfoot that is). What is considered comedy these days; what is considered entertainment is atrocious. There is something wrong with me. I would rather read a good book like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Cry the Beloved Country, the Bible or anything other than 50 Shades of Gray.

The Bible states: It is not what enters ones mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles it - Matthew 15:11. I wonder how many people know that passage? I bet it is less than the amount that know that the main character of 50 Shades is named Christian.

I still go back to the book, The Boy Who Met Jesus. Jesus taught Segatashaya a song that the little boy sang throughout the remainder of his life. It went:

I give you a new law, a law to love each other as I have loved you. Dear God, I have chosen to follow you and I will praise you all my life. Blessed is the one who doesnt keep company with sinners, blessed is he who doesnt join the company of those who mock others. I give you a new law, a law to love each other as I have loved you. Dear God, I have chosen to follow you and I will praise you all my life. 


Sound familiar? It should. It was Jesus teaching the little pagan boy the same thing that he taught on the mount 2,000+ years ago.

The little boy also said quite often:


Do not be tempted by the treasures of this world. All this will end and all that is on Earth now shall perish....be happy with what you have already, and be thankful for the time you have to pray and become a better person.

What a wise little boy and what an incredible teacher.  Words to live by, truly. I may not know if there is a Bigfoot (which I doubt) but I do know that there is a God and that Jesus is alive and well.  Sadly there are hateful people in the world, who could benefit from just shutting their mouths and not saying anything at all if they have nothing nice to say. My Momma taught me that. In the meantime I will just keep my big old trap shut,  I will say some prayers instead and watch the live show of the acrobat and the winged wonders that we share this big beautiful world with.

Peace,

Mare

PS: No squirrels were harmed in the taking of this picture. Just kidding, he is not in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment