Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sweet Dreams


Another Fathers Day weekend. Time sure does fly by.

I just learned this past week how it came to pass. In 1909 a Mrs. John B. Dodd (Sonora Smart Dodd) wanted to honor her dad, William Smart, who had raised Mrs. Dodd and 5 other children after his wife died in childbirth. Mr. Smart, who was a Civil War veteran raised his children alone on a farm in Spokane, Washington. Originally she wanted it to be the first Sunday in June, which that year was the 5th and was her dads birthday but the Spokane council could not get the resolution passed until the third Sunday. At this point others across the country were also starting to celebrate their dads. In 1924 President Coolidge supported the idea of a national day to recognize dads, but it was not until President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation in 1966 that the 3rd Sunday became the national day of recognition.

I got my fathers day gift a little early this year. That is right; I received the gift when I had a dream about my mom and dad last night. The three of us had just moved to a beautiful little house in New Jersey. Right in front of the house were two small rails for a tram to move about the community. I took a walk down a short path behind the house and found rolling green hills and a small lake with ducks floating on it and quacking at me to announce my arrival. I could see just at the foot of the water tiny fish swimming and then swishing away when I approached. I then walked over a small hill and on the other side was the ocean, which the house faced. The calm water rolled onto the shore; the gulls swooped down, the families waded with their small children. Then I was back in the house to be with mom and dad. I realized it was too small for the three of us so I told them I would get a studio close by and thought, this way I can be near them for when they get older and need help. I was then in my car. I stopped at a small shop for a snack and bought a bag of blueberry muffins, but first looked at the berries to make sure they were plump and juicy. Then I got back in my car and missed the darn turnoff, but somehow ended up home again with the parents.

Freud is not needed here, I know where every thought and image in my dream came from and can sum it up in  one word - Facebook. Yesterday, I saw pictures of my great-nephews at the ocean, my niece and SIL at a small lake complete with ducks and ducklings and I saw koi fish swimming in another friends backyard pond with what appears to be Eden blossoming all around it. l have been looking at real estate lately, all over New Jersey and New York to possibly relocate. I woke up starving hence the blueberry muffins. Who has not missed a jug handle in New Jersey? But most of all I miss my parents, every single day. My dad passed away in 1989 and my mother in 1994, both in their early 60s. I am in awe of my friends who still have their parents and I must admit a little jealous sometimes. But it is nice to see my mom and dad every so often, even if it is in a night-time dream, until that is, the time when we are all together again in paradise.

Have a happy day!

Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment