Translate

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Faith & Healing

A few days ago  I read an interesting article about faith and healing. It was a nice article, in the Aletia on-line magazine, that showcased one man's perspective on how they go hand in hand. Can you have healing without faith? Of course you can. It happens every day in the hands of doctors, surgeons, therapists and other mental health professionals and even financial advisors. All of them can heal a person in one way or another. I guess you could say that you have faith in those people because you sought them out to help you, but I'm talking about a faith in God when it comes to healing. Even Atheists have faith in doctors and the others.

I know that my church, and one other local one, have monthly healing masses and services. During the mass the Holy Spirit is invoked and asked to provide healing for all of those present whether it be a spiritual, mental, or physical aspect. After the mass, at my church, a healing service is conducted where there is a laying on of hands and then prayers are said over a person. It probably took me a year to actually go and have that done to me. I remember the first time that I went to the mass I sat and watched the service afterward and some of the people that were being prayed over crumpled to the floor. That totally and completely freaked me out and, as one with a rather formidable figure, I had visions of myself crumbling to the floor while four skinny arms tried to stop me. The speaking in tongues thing gave me a "what the?" moment too. After that, I educated myself on what was happening and why. Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. If you are truly speaking through this gift, either you will understand what is being said or someone else will. If it is all just garbled nonsensical ramblings, it is not the Holy Spirit speaking through them. The other thing I learned is that you can sit and have them pray over you. Once I found that out I decided to have a go at it.

I was prayed over by a group of 3 women, one of which was a Sister involved with the church's School of Religion. I sat down while they each put a hand on me and inquired what my prayer intention was. I told them that it was not actually for me but a family member that was struggling with addiction. During my education on the crumbling and tongues I found out that you can have them pray over you for the healing of another person. I did have some pretty serious things going on in my own body at the time, but I really needed to pray for my loved one. The women then put both of their hands on me and started to pray, with their eyes closed. The louder and more passionate they got, the more I felt a flush of heat pulsate through my body from my hair follicles to the tips of my toes. It only took a few minutes before some of them were speaking in tongues. After the flush I felt an incredible peace settle into my bones and then it was over. I just sat there with my eyes closed feeling the peace and warmth and utter silence in my head and it was just an awesome experience. I wish I could say that my loved one stopped using drugs and was immediately cured, but it took many more years of prayers before he decided to get clean and sober. On the other hand, I had a pretty miraculous, unexpected turn of events.

The following week I had to go for a follow up sonogram. A prior test had shown that four of my organs were filled with cysts. My pancreas had so many that they thought it was a tumor. The follow up sono could find no trace of any of them, neither in the pancreas nor in any other organ. My doc said whatever you are doing, keep doing it! I've been to a number of healing masses since then. I've had tumors disappear and many prayers answered. You can say that I am a firm believer in the power of prayers, the power of faith and its direct correlation with healing.

If you have the opportunity to go to a good healing service or mass do so. Stay away from things like Reiki though. They are not invoking the Holy Spirit and you are opening yourself up to some nasty things. It is okay to pray for yourself, but it is more important to pray for others.  God hears all prayers. God heals, if it is His will to do so. Sure, healing can occur without a faith in God, but isn't it nicer to have him by your side?

Have a great week.

Mare




No comments:

Post a Comment