Translate

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

USPS You are Breaking My Heart!!

Remember the old films like Miracle on 34th Street that proves that Mr. Kringle is really Santa Claus because he was recognized by the USPS as such? That spry, gentle, old man who had a twinkle in his eyes and probably still had bubble gum bits hidden in his beard was released by the insane asylum because the post office said he was sane.

More movies like Dear God show the good side of postal workers responding to mail in the "have no place to go" pile like letters to God or Santa. That is a heart-warming movie about how an ex-con answers the prayers of some of those that have written letters.

Our own central post office, here on the island, had employees that did that exact same thing for Santa letters. Through a joint effort of the post office, community members and local businesses many of those wishes came true (except for maybe the ones that wanted ponies or a date with Justin Bieber).

I LOVED the USPS; That's right, loved, past tense. Let me first say that I don't promote anything as being fabulous (well except for GloryGloryGifts.com and our staff) but I did just that about the USPS. I would often post on Facebook or business sites about how affordable, convenient and reliable the USPS was. Now, mind you, I do not include my wonderful postman, Andy, in this gripe. I adore Andy. In fact I have known him as my postman for 30 years now. I knew him when he first got the job and now that he is in his Autumn years and thinking retirement in a few. Through rain, sleet and dark of night he always takes our shipments and does it with a smile on his face and a "hey how r ya today?"

Once it leaves his hands though, it seems to now fall into the Bermuda Triangle. As all of our shipments go out with tracking info I can see where they are going. I've seen mail for Alaska end up in Puerto Rico and mail for Washington state end up in Texas. I've seen priority mail with an expected delivery of 1-3 days take 8 and 9 days. The same applies to their own priority box shipping. Most annoying of all, and it happens almost 50% of the time now, is that it is not scanned, at all in New York. That does not make me a happy camper. If my customer is not happy that they cannot see where their package is, then I am not happy.

At the moment we are watching a bunch of packages that were never scanned in New York, hoping to see that they have at least arrived in the destination states. Sadly, we have to now have employees babysit the USPS. A teeny tiny business has to do its own monitoring of a government agency. Who would have thought it possible?

Instead of the warm, lovely, visions of the post office I see them as working like the guys in the mailroom in Elf. I see them dancing on my pile of shipments to "Whoomp There it Is." That movie is hysterical but hey! Get off my mail!

I don't want to "go brown". I don't like their ring and run policy of delivery. I want the USPS to provide the service that their customers are paying for. Since it tis the season for miracles I am hoping for some. I implore you, USPS, to please put the twinkle back in my eyes this Christmas season and stop making my brown eyes blue (okay so my eyes are actually dark olive). Provide the services that you are advertising and that customers are paying for. Don't go breakin my heart...

Peace!

Mare

UPDATE! I am happy to say that all of the missing pieces have been safely delivered! It took a bit of time for them (the ones that were touring the U.S.) but they are now in our customers' hands.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. I am once again in love with the post office. Okay, we have had some bumps in the road but for the most part the USPS is a big ole cup of awesomeness. As a small business, we have daily pick up and it is working out extremely well. God bless the USPS!!

    ReplyDelete