Translate

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

.....that is what little boys are made of, as the saying goes. Well if it begins with girls are made with sugar and spice and everything nice I am getting the sense that this ditty was written by a female. I will have to look that up.

On Sunday I saw the sweetest, most reverent gesture and it came from a wee boy. I would say that judging on his appearance he probably made his First Holy Communion last year. He was on the line next to mine and had his hands in the traditional prayer position and they were tucked right under his chin.

As this little man approached the priest extending the Host to him, he bowed. He then received the Host and walked away with his little head bowed. I hope that he never loses that reverence for the Eucharist.

On so many occasions I see the adults receive the Host and then bolt for the door. It breaks my heart each and every time I see it. Catholics, and the Orthodox, see it as the actual body and blood of Christ. Other Christians see it as a reminder of Him. Whatever the case may be - it just makes me wonder why anyone would have to run out the door with a Host on their tongue. What in this world (sans a sudden family emergency) is more important than Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Absolutely, positively, nothing. I consider those moments spent with my eyes closed and sitting in the pew with the Host on my tongue to be one of the highlights of my week. For just one moment, out of thousands of minutes in a week, I am completely and utterly at peace. This is the moment when I ask Him for a special prayer or thank Him for a blessing he has bestowed upon me, a family member or a friend over the last week. As the little gem of a boy did, I bow as well. Within the past few months I have gone back to receiving the Host on my tongue too. It confuses the priests and Eucharist ministers sometimes as 99.9% receive it in their hands, but slowly the old ways that I was taught, when I was a first Communicant, are creeping back into my psyche and once again becoming a part of me. The other thing that I have been doing, for years actually, is saying the Act of Contrition before receiving. It is a simple prayer and one does not have to be Catholic to say it. I say it while on line. The one I use is about 25 years old but still fits the bill:

"Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee. I detest all my sins because of Thy just punishment, but most of all because You are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen"

Make Him the center of your life and at the very least, the Host the center of your Mass. Have a great week.

Peace.

Mare

PS: The praying hands are available at the web store at http://www.shop.gloryglorygifts.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment