Translate

Monday, February 18, 2019

A Revelation

It never ceases to amaze me just how much is revealed to me when I'm sitting in the adoration chapel. Like yesterday, while sitting in chapel, three truths came to me that actually surprised me in a way that I didn't expect. Remarkably, I pulled out a tiny slip of paper and a pen and jotted them down lest I forget (like I would forget this?)

I NEED Jesus.

I CLING to Jesus.

Jesus SUSTAINS me.

Unless you know me well  you are probably saying to yourself yeah, I already know that about you. You splash your love for the guy all over social media. I can't get away from it! But, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I don't ask people for help. I'm incredibly private and stubborn and don't have the patience to wait for someone to do something for me; I'll just do it myself and get it done, or don't do it at all. I... DO... NOT... ASK... ANYONE.... FOR... ANYTHING. (If I do, trust me, it is killing me to ask.) Capeesh? Are you getting just how much of a mule I am? Look up stubborn in the dictionary; I'm pretty sure my face is there.


That's why I was so blown away when this realization hit me today. That paragraph I just wrote? Yeah, I'm private and stubborn and all that however, I'm kidding myself. Nobody is an island unto themselves. I could try to sell myself as this tough no-nonsense chick but the reality is that I bring EVERYTHING to Jesus, (Poor Jesus, I've become a stage-5 clinger), the good, the bad and the ugly. He knows me intrinsically and understands the why of things I do and don't do and he loves me anyway. I need that in my life. Everyone needs Him in their life. He IS that awesome. Just as Peter needed to hold His hand during the storm so he didn't drown, so do the rest of us need to hold onto Him in not only the storm but the smooth sailing as well. Jesus isn't some mythical being that was created purely for entertainment. He IS God and historical Jesus is the very much alive man that walked the earth centuries ago. He is with us now and all you need to do is reach out to Him. I assure you, He is always there for us. He told us so, "... I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matthew 28:20 ASB

Yesterday's reading was the Sermon on the mount and the beautiful beatitudes.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10


When I was younger, that first Beatitude always confused me. I'm guessing it was either a difficult concept to grasp or maybe a comma could have helped.  I always took it to mean lacking in belief where it means the complete opposite. It is a humbling of yourself to God and placing yourself totally and completely into His hands. How exquisite.

Seek God. Seek Jesus. Seek the Holy Spirit. Immerse yourself in the saving power of their love. Find a quiet place, close your eyes, and just breath and listen. Better yet, find a perpetual adoration chapel in your area and just sit there for 15 minutes, half an hour, an hour. Bring a Bible, a rosary or any other prayer aid and turn off the cellphone and put it out of reach. God deserves your full attention. Give Him your worries, your fears, your illness, your sorrows, your joys, your thanks and open your heart. May we all be poor in spirit and rely totally and completely on God to lead us through this valley of tears. Can't find an adoration chapel? Go to a church, a park bench, your bedroom. God is everywhere.

Someone once said to me, "I wish I had your faith." Well, it's just like any other relationship. It has to be open, honest, nurtured, have mutual respect and has to include love and growth. If this old mule could learn to give it all up to God, well then so could anyone else who is truly searching for Him.

It's an incredible revelation to me that I'm not as tough as I think I am and I thank my best bud, Jesus, for always having my back. He's your best bud too, just ask Him for help.

Peace, Joy and love to you,

Mare

"You fill up my senses, like a night in the forest
like the mountain in spring time
like a walk in the rain
like a storm in the desert
like a sleepy blue ocean
You fill up my senses, come fill me again."
~ Annie's Song by John Denver


No comments:

Post a Comment