Translate

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Not So Fair Weather Friends?

Jesus Walks on the Water

22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
29 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” ~ Matthew 14:22-33

A few thoughts have been swirling in my pretty little head since I heard this reading the other day. Sheesh, how many times have I been Peter?  I would like to think that Jesus sustains me when the winds of turmoil, stress and suffering bang against the sides of my "boat"? Sometimes, though, I do think why me God? What did I do, that was so horribly wrong, that I deserve this? In this reading Peter is lifted and sustained by Jesus. He has faith in Jesus at the moment, which is a beautiful one at that.  When Peter becomes freaked out by the winds and the storm he lets go of that faith and starts to sink, which is exactly what we all do when we let go of our faith during the turbulent times. Don't you think so too? Everyone has times of turmoil and despair. Sadly some people do turn away from God when the going gets rough. I think it is part of the human condition to find fault and blame when something goes amiss in our lives. Why not blame God? He is an easy scapegoat after all. Sometimes the most difficult thing to do is to have faith and to trust in God's plan. He does have a plan for each and every one of us; remember He knew us before He formed us in the womb. He knows us intricately and loves us and can and will uplift us in the bad and good times of our life. Trust Him. Reach out to Him. Just as Jesus reached His hand out to Peter, so shall He reach it out to you and lift you from the waters before you drown. 

The reading also reminded me of the weeks and months following 9/11/01, when the churches were filled with those looking for healing and probably answers as well. To be honest, I was numb at that time and many times I just went and sat in the pew and contemplated the passage printed above the altar that read, "Be still." It was the only part of the passage that was visible from where I sat. (The entire passage is "Be still, and know that I am God.")  Aside from being with my family, waiting for news of family members and friends, God's house was the only other place that I wanted to be. It seems I was not the only one that felt that way given the scores of people I would meet there.

There has to be a balance though. By all means seek God during the tumultuous times, but also remember to thank God for every blessing that He has given you as well. Try to make it a habit to think of your daily blessings before you head to bed at night and say thank you.

The last paragraph makes me think of my favorite Apostle, Thomas. Those that were in the boat saw the miracles of Jesus occur right before their eyes. Thomas too, had to be convinced that Jesus was risen. We read of the signs and wonders in the Bible with awe but haven't experienced Him the way that they all did, yet we believe in Him and that is the very definition of faith. Jesus said, "
Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Well Alleluia!


Joy, Peace and Love to you all. Have a good week.

Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment