Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Venerable Fr. Solanus Casey


I just watched the most delightful show on EWTN about Venerable Fr. Solanus Casey. Those of you that have seen my blog know how near and dear the man is to my heart. I had never heard of him before in my life, yet I had a dream about him a few years ago and this has left me with an indelible bond with him.

This incredibly humble man was responsible for hundreds of physical cures and hundreds more conversions during his lifetime and people still make a pilgrimage to his burial spot in Detroit today to ask for special blessings and healings. I did recall reading that his body was exhumed in 1987 and found to be 95% incorrupt, even though the casket was partially filled with water. His skin was smooth, clear and beautiful even though he had skin cancer in his later years. The doctor declared the body to be remarkable. He was then placed into a steel coffin.

He died 40 years after his first mass was said to the exact day and hour. Healings are continuing to be attributed to him today. In fact, the church has received hundreds of purported miracles. Fr. Casey was declared as Venerable in 1995 by Rome. No wonder why it's taking them so long to move ahead on beatifying him.

What I didn't know was that he lost two of his sisters to diptheria back when they were little. They were named Martha and Mary Ann. Silly, I know, but I think it's kinda cool that his sisters and I share different variations of the same name. Go ahead - call me crazy. It won't be the first time I've been called that.

What can I say? I just love the man. Please visit the Fr. Solanus Casey Guild site and let's get this man beatified!

Peace!

Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment