Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Why?

Changed lives. Brought beauty into lives. Artistic. Soulful. Wise. Accepting. Genuine humility. Introducing me to a world I never knew. Inspiring. Quirky. Beautiful and whimsical. Gone too soon.

Courageous. Brave. Strong. Lovable. Joyful. Special. Gift.

As the world was saying goodbye to two celebrities who opted out of this life by their own hands, my family was privately grieving the loss of a precious 9 year old, who died suddenly last Thursday. All of the words I used in the top two paragraphs capture words or phrases that I have heard over the last week, which were used in tributes.  The difference between the two paragraphs is simple, though. The top one is lines or words I found in tributes to Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade's show, culinary skills, or products. I had to dig a little deeper to find ones that described the type of people they were. yet, I could attribute every one of those words or phrases to my little Sami. I can say with all honesty that neither of the celebrities made an ounce of difference in my life. Of course, I didn't know them personally, but then again 95% of the people leaving tributes probably didn't either.  What I do know is that our little Sami taught me more in her short life than those that society has deemed to be great innovators and creators as the two I have spoken about here.

Because I have a strong faith, some have turned to me for answers to that age old question ~ why? Why would God take this precious babe away from us? I don't have an answer to that. There is an answer, but only God knows what it is. What I do know is that Samantha came to us after a very dark period in our family's life; the pinnacle of which was losing my niece, Sami's Aunt Stephanie, to tongue cancer in 2004. For a few years after that we grieved heavily for Steph. I watched as my brother, his wife, and family went through the motions of holidays and other celebrations but I knew they had an emptiness inside. As a sister, sometimes watching my brother grieve took my own breath away. Then something miraculous occurred. In 2008, a new, wiggly, joyous, curly topped, pink cherub took her first breath and let us all breathe along with her. It was almost as if I could see the life return to my family's eyes, especially my brother and sister in law. The smiles returned to us, the joy and laughter returned to their home and slowly but surely we all found joy in life once again.

Sami was a very unique, complex individual for someone of her age. She was born with a condition called Venous Malformation which affected some areas of her body. She started having frequent surgeries as an infant and right up into this year. She had more surgeries than anyone should ever have to experience in a lifetime, yet, she loved life and lived it as fully as any child could. When I was shaking in my shoes over surgeries that I had to have over the last few years, I would think of her. My gosh, that little girl was so brave and had me feeling a fool. That pint-sized little pixie taught me how to stand strong and be brave.

Even with her surgeries and recoveries, she was always smiling and filled with joy. I have never seen her complain or whine. Birds, butterflies and heart-shaped things like rocks and clouds made her as happy as a lark so did dress up, and sparkly things, tutus and dolls but she also loved to help her Dad fix his car or put a nail in a piece of wood. Sami even had her own toolbox. Not only was she very good at creating artistic things of all types, she also loved to share them. A few years back I made a sign for her room, which she loved. Her Mom told me that Sami loved it so much that it is one thing that she is going to keep. We had a shared love of bedazzlers, Sami and I. As my brother said, she was the type of child that would be picking flowers in the outfield while softballs whizzed past her head.

Giving, caring, kind. Sami was a very generous child and though her condition was visible in her arm, she taught her friends, including her best friend Fallon, to embrace their individuality. She told them "be yourself." How wise is that for a little girl?

In answer to why she has left us too soon all I can say is what I believe the reason for it is. I believe that some people we meet in this life are truly gifts from God. They are here for a purpose and that is to be an angel on earth. It is their "job" to lift us up and support us and to bring us back from the depths of despair so that we can finish what we were sent here to do. I believe that God gives us people that are so filled with light and unconditional love that they leave an indelible mark on our souls. I believe that God sends us these gifts to incite us to change ourselves or the world around us. It wouldn't surprise me if Sami's best friend, Fallon, turns out to be the one who finds the cure for venous malformations and recognizes the friend that she lost in her childhood as the one that impelled her to look for answers and cures. I know that God sends us souls that face quite difficult challenges, illnesses and conditions that would bring many people to their knees, yet they face it all with grace, faith, and peace. I know that God creates souls that do not have the capacity for anything other than unconditional love and finding the beauty in everything and every person on this earth. I know because I met that angel of light and love, a few of them actually, but the latest one happened to be Samantha Marie. Just as you do with any job, when it is accomplished you go home.

That is how I answer the question, why?

All children are a gift from God, but some children are angels in disguise.

In Memoriam for Samantha Marie Hare 8/21/08-6/7/18



No comments:

Post a Comment