Translate

Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Valley of Tears

When I was saying my prayers today those words resounded a bit more than they usually do. The words are part of the prayer that I say, the "Hail Holy Queen," which is part of the rosary. The passage actually says, "to thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears." So where is the valley of tears? You're sitting on it; it's called earth.

I know it is just me having a blah day. I'm sure you have had them too. Haven't we all experienced the blues at one time or another? Sometimes the world does seem to be crashing in all around you and crushing you while you struggle to breath deep and quell the tears that are just behind your eyelashes. Sigh. I know many people would just get mad at God and walk away from him when they are overwhelmed by life. It seems like a good excuse, the oh poor me syndrome, but in actuality things just happen and it has nothing to do with God sitting there taking revenge on you. I have found that it has more to do with people around you making really stupid freaking mistakes that affects those near and dear to them. Intentionally done, or not, it doesn't matter as it does not lessen the pain that it has caused.

While sitting in the garden, contemplating hating God, I thought nah, it isn't Him. He is the strength that gets me through every day. I have been incredibly blessed with signs and wonders, visions and dreams that absolutely validate not only His existence but His very presence in my life. The beautiful thing is that I am not a saint. I'm nothing special at all actually and the same way He is present in my life He is present in your life too. The one thing I have learned is that to open yourself totally and completely to Him, and to surrender your life to Him, is like having a heavy burden lifted from your tiny shoulders. Very often when things go wrong I tell my son, "the Lord will provide." He has yet to fail me and I know He never shall.

We all feel that empty void inside of us at one time or another. Even when Our Lord was on the cross He felt it. It isn't that God was not there with Him then, of course He was. It's part of the human experience; everyone feels that emptiness at one time or another. I might add that those that sometimes make us laugh the hardest are the ones that feel the emptiest of all. They are just better at hiding it than most of us.

I could do a few things about this. I could "man up," I could give someone a whoop aside the head, or I could just go back to sitting in the garden and wait for a butterfly to amble through. Whichever I decide to do.....

this too shall pass. Tomorrow it will be a memory; "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me....." "He restores my soul"*

Have a blessed and peaceful day.

Mare


*Portions of Psalm 23
Photo taken by Marianne Hare, over Holy Child Church, SINY, on Christmas Day 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment