Translate

Friday, June 16, 2017

Nearer My God to Thee

I positively love the song Nearer My God to Thee, which was written by Sarah Flower Adams in 1841 in Loughton, Essex, England. The first to set it to music was Sarah's sister Eliza Flower. The tune I have shared here, without lyrics, is (I believe) that of   John Bacchus Dykes, which is named "Horbury" after a place he found comfort and peace in. Following my thoughts, are the lyrics Ms. Adams wrote, which are just beautiful (IMHO anyway). Hopefully this link to the Youtube video will stay live so that you can enjoy the lovely hymn for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEfqj9pDAI. It should open in a new window.

When do you feel closest to God? Do you ever feel close to Him or are you too busy during your day to spend a few moments in solitude and prayer? I try to find Him in so many of the little things I do throughout the day, that are part of my humble existence. When I'm washing my dishes, I think of him and thank him for the food he has given me. While washing my clothes, I think of Him and thank Him for clothing me (so do my neighbors, LOL). When I put my feet on the floor in the morning, and every joint in my body seems to scream at me, I think of Him and offer it up to Him as a silent prayer. When I am busy vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, polishing and straightening inside and outside of my house I thank Him for putting a roof over my head. Every little thing you do during your day can bring you closer to God if you offer it up to Him as a blessing or, if suffering, as a sacrifice. Of course, Glory Glory Gifts is doing His work so that definitely makes me feel closer to Him. Yesterday, I continued my efforts to renew and refresh the garden in the backyard by trimming the rose bush and pulling out all of the vines that love to congregate in that general area. All I could think of while doing so was the crown of thorns that was placed on Jesus' head. For me, it was a painful, humbling and poignant experience, as I'm sure you can imagine, and I had gardening gloves to protect my hands. More than once a prickle found some of my bare skin, which drew a yelp from my lips and a trickle of blood. To think that my dear, sweet, Lord, suffered as He did from a crown of them being placed on His head is enough to take my breath away and bring me to my knees. How about you?

Think of the little things in your life that you can offer to God each and every day. Find ways to bring yourself nearer to God. He is, after all, a God of love, mercy and forgiveness. Who doesn't want to be closer to someone like that?

Peace,

Mare

"Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me;
Still all my song shall be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Chorus: Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!

Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, etc.

There let the way appear steps unto heav'n;
All that Thou sendest me in mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, etc.

Then with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, etc.

Or if on joyful wing, cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upwards I fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer, etc.
A sixth verse was later added to the hymn by Edward Henry Bickersteth Jr. as follows:[1]

There in my Father’s home, safe and at rest,
There in my Saviour’s love, perfectly blest;
Age after age to be, nearer my God to Thee,
Nearer, etc."

No comments:

Post a Comment