Translate

Friday, May 24, 2013

What We Can Learn From Birds

Okay I will admit it. I am having a terrible day and it is drippy and dreary out to boot. But while I sat, with my teacup in hand, looking out of the window I noticed something. It is pouring out, but the birds hidden in the trees were all singing. Even a bird sitting on a wet wire was answering that call of the wild. Now if they were chattering I would say they were definitely complaining about the weather, but no, it was a sweet, chirpy sound that I heard. I think, as the supposedly, smartest of the species on this earth that we could all learn something from this tiny creature. After all, we have the brain cells to acknowledge God and his workings in our own lives, yet, to us the birds are just tiny creatures that probably do not have any ponderings about God. Their worries are more about where that darn neighborhood cat went that has been eyeing them up and down all week and trying to climb the tree to get them. Worse yet, the pesky squirrel that sneaks into the neighborhood bird feeders that they have to fend off or avoid even though they are starving; they do eat their weight in food a day after all. Even with their tiny worries though, they still take joy in sitting on a branch, even in the rainiest of days, and just singing.

Why do we, smarty pants that we are, throw ourselves the occasional pity parties? We know that God is watching over us, just as he is watching over the birds, and that he loves us and knows our struggles and our shortcomings and guess what? He loves us anyway. My mom used to say, about my dad, I love him warts and all. (No, my dad was not covered in warts.) She loved him unconditionally just as God loves us all.

I have decided that next time I feel like throwing that little pity party for myself that I am going to crank up the music and just sing. (Heaven help my neighbors.) If the birds can sing through the worst of days, well then, so can I. Keep smiling and look! My lilacs are in bloom!

Have a blessed weekend.

Mare





No comments:

Post a Comment