Translate

Monday, September 6, 2010

Mother Mary, To Thee I Pray


Oh gentle and peaceful Mother
most blessed Handmaiden of God
for centuries our world has been inspired
by the images of your own ecstasy and agony

The image of you, our perfect Mother
in a humble stable
rocking your new born Son in your arms
and gently laying him in a creche
filled with straw of golden hues
On that holiest of nights
the great star shines down and
the angels proclaim
Glory to God in the highest

And

The image of you, our heartbroken Mother
Holding the battered and broken body
of your Son in your arms
While you clutch Him closer
to the heaving grief of your own heart
the ground quakes, the tears of heaven rain down
and the angels are silenced

Dear Mother Mary, to thee I pray

That I may be the all loving Mother that you are
That I may bring the peace and joy of God
to my home and family as you did; and
that I may emulate your strength,
grace and forgiveness
during this life's darkest of days

Amen.

An original poem of Marianne E. Hare 4/17/08

No comments:

Post a Comment