Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Kid Inside

Two things happened when I went to church last week. The first was a little girl skipping into the church. She was wearing a white Summer dress with eyelet design and white sandals and her long, blonde, pony tail swung back and forth each time her feet hit the floor.  It put a smile on my face; I wish that everyone entering the Father's house were that excited about visiting Him. It was refreshing to see her and I hope that her enthusiasm does not wane as she gets older.

The other thing happened to me. I was very fidgety and could not sit still. Usually I am very focused on what is being said and done and tune out everything happening around me, but not that day. I could not sit still. It was funny, but for half of the mass I felt like I was a child. No time had passed since I was skipping around town.  That day, though, I looked at my nails, straightened my hair, scratched non-itches, plucked a piece of lint off of my pant leg, made sure my earrings were securely hugging my lobes, and I even put on lip balm. (I pity those sitting next to me.) As unsettled as I was, though, I did actually listen to the homily and readings and it did sink in. It was half way through that gorgeous homily that I recognized the fact that hiding in this 57 year old body was the child I have always been. I still feel EXACTLY the same as I did as a kid, but that is a secret that we old folks don't tell the young. In truth, we are their age but we have to act like adults. I still have the same insecurities and phobias, likes and dislikes; I still hate lima beans and ham still makes my teeth squeak. The only difference now is that I eat it without complaining (the ham that is - still can't get a lima past my lips). I still go to church, arrive early and stay when the priest leaves the altar and the last chord of music is played.

During Communion when I was on line I spied the little girl who had just received the Host and was settling onto the kneeler. She bowed her head into her hands as I looked away. Sadly when I returned to my own pew it had one other man on the opposite side of the bench. The pew in front of me was pretty much the same, except for one woman. Both were filled with people that had gotten on line ahead of me and then split. Two feelings swept over me when I saw this, sadness and anger. Now I know that I was a total fusspot during the homily but I heard the priest talk about Jesus being present in the Host. He had us repeat the word Transubstantiation. He said, and I quote, "the people would be overflowing the churches if they truly believed Jesus was present in the Eucharist." Yes, they would and they should be. They should be falling on their knees in gratitude that He is present with them here on earth. It is pretty sad when a 7 year old shows more reverence than those of us that are supposed to be older and wiser. There is absolutely, positively, no reason why anybody should leave a church with a Eucharist on their tongue yet at least two rows of people did just that. Why can't they see that they are disrespecting Jesus by doing that? They can't wait 5 more minutes for Mass to end? You are taking the body and blood of Jesus Christ into your own body and are running to your car two seconds later. I just do not get it. It breaks my heart to see Him treated that way. It makes me angry to see Him treated that way. I am probably judging those that left but so be it. That is probably part of the reason why Jesus told us we should become more like children to enter the gates of heaven. It is because adults can be pretty stupid. If you are a Catholic and you are doing this, shame on you. Rethink your actions.


God bless and have a good week,

Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment