Translate

Monday, October 8, 2018

A Tale of Three Families

I heard the most amazing story this morning, which totally and completely elated me. A friend of mine just met her siblings for the first time. She, and her Mom were abandoned by her Father when she was just a toddler. It seems he went on to start a family elsewhere and out of the blue my friend was contacted by her brother through FB. They recently all met for the first time and the pictures she shared with us show the remarkable family resemblance between them.

Her amazing homecoming reminded me of someone near and dear to my own heart. His Father also left his Mother and him, but she was still carrying him in her womb when that father split.  He too has siblings that he has never met but, so far, there hasn't been any happy ending and joyous reunion of any sort. It doesn't mean that there won't be one in the future though. You just never know what life will bring you.

The third story is the one about Melissa Ohden. I'm reading a book about her life called, "You Carried Me." Melissa was an aborted baby that survived and was subsequently adopted and raised by a loving, supportive family. I am slowly reading it, and do not want to give any spoilers away but she does search for her biological Mother and the book details it along with her feelings and questions. I can tell you that I'm finding it very difficult to read not because of the subject matter. It's because I can relate to Melissa, her biological Mom and her adoptive Mom on so many levels. You see, I am the Mother mentioned in that second scenario.

Though some of the stories share some talking points the one thing that ties all of them together is just how much one person's decision can have consequences not only to their life but to the others in it as well. In essence, all three babies had a parent abandon them, yet, all of them were raised in good, nurturing, homes and they all grew up to be wonderful human beings in spite of the circumstances. God bless them all.

Life is chock full of challenges and choices that have to be made. It's been said that most people encounter 3 serious issues a year that they have to deal with. (Judging by my own life I think that's a bit understated.) I think in this day and age of narcissistic behavior we have to be reminded again and again that there are other people in our lives that we have a responsibility to. Think long and hard about the serious issues that arise in your life and the affect it will have on your loved ones. Pray to God to guide you in your decision making. Let him help you with the big stuff. I promise you, he is always listening.

Best wishes to my friend and her new found family. May God bless us all with peace, joy and love.

Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment