Translate

Friday, January 29, 2016

Small Acts of Kindness

Isn't it lovely when someone does something for you that is quite unexpected? As you know, the Northeast of the U.S. was clobbered last week with a major snowstorm. Of course, my little island got hammered and we got over 2 feet of snow. What you do not know is that I am a disabled American. My disability, which is from a rare disease, does not stop me from running my business or living a full life but it does have its limitations. There are a few things that I know I will never do, like scale Mount Everest, go bungie jumping, run a marathon or shovel snow but hey, I can live with that. Tom was going to do (shovel that is) it when he got his butt in gear and had his coffee. To our surprise it was already almost done when he looked out of our window while putting on his coat. Our neighbor, and his lady friend, had already conquered the snow on our walkway. I was blown away, to say the least. This was a pretty monumental task that he had accomplished but it was his act of kindness that I am in awe of. It seems very few people nowadays actually think of others instead of just themselves, but he did just that. Although I baked him a batch of maple/brown sugar/oatmeal cookies to thank him, he has no idea just how much the clearing of my sidewalk meant to me.

I used to work with a man, John Amodio, that used to say that it was the simple things that meant so much. The one thing he did, which I used to just love, was to hand write notes of thanks to people. Not such a big deal you say? Well, he was the President of a NYC bank, so yeah, it was a pretty big deal. All these years later I still write notes to people, whether through email or by hand not just because of John, but because my Mamma taught me to do it long before he did. Not only is it a small act of kindness and gratitude too; it is the correct thing to do.

Life is made up of little things don't you think? St. Therese of Lisieux offered up her little acts to God all day long. We can all learn from her. Even just looking behind you when you walk through a door, to make sure it doesn't get slammed into someone's face, is an act of kindness. A small act of kindness is akin to being Christ-like. It is putting someone else before you. What a beautiful thing to do.

Have a beautiful day.

Mare



No comments:

Post a Comment