Translate

Friday, February 22, 2019

Jesus in Prayer

It pierces my heart and makes it beat just a little faster when I think of how often Jesus prayed to His Father. One in particular speaks volumes to me, “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you” John 17:20-21. Sigh. To me it is pretty obvious, Jesus is saying that HE prays for US, all of us, even those that are yet to turn their hearts to Him.

The power of prayer is so magnificent, so why don't more people do it?

Very often, too often, you see people on social media asking for prayers and many responding, "you are in my prayers." Well, what does that mean? Is it just a convenient, over-used response or does that person actually bow their head in that moment and pray for the intention? Do they include the person in prayers said at any time? People need prayer and even Jesus recognized that. By His very actions He showed us how to pray, for whom we should pray and when to pray.

“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name-the name you gave me-so that they may be one as we are one” John 17:11

“Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed” Mark 1:35

“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” Luke 5:16

“While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, ‘Take it; this is my body’ Mark 14:22

“At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure’” Luke 10:21.

“Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, ‘My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will’” Matthew 26:39

“About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’”  Matthew 27:46

He prayed to His Father for others, for strength, for solace, in thanksgiving, in joy, and when He had felt isolated and abandoned on the cross.

He taught us how to pray to God the Father:

"This, then, is how you should pray:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,  your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread.  Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." Matthew 6:9-15


Just as Jesus prayed to His Father, we should pray to Jesus and, of course, His Father and the Holy Spirit. As humans we are vulnerable to so many traps and snares of temptation that we really need to have the same relationship with prayer that He did.  I'm sharing some that I pray daily, weekly or just often but feel free to look for more as there are so many! Make it a habit to pray to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, after all, prayer is a dialogue.

Pray to the Holy Spirit for an increase in faith. Ask Him to fill your heart and set it on fire with the hope and joy that can be found through prayer.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
Let us pray,
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.


I think that people tend to forget that Jesus attended temple and prayed with His community just as we gather today. He kept the Sabbath day holy, just as we should. He came not only to redeem us through His precious blood but also to teach us how to live and pray in the spirit.

Love yourself. Love Jesus, and find time to spend with Him every single day and when you say you are going to pray for someone, mean it.

Peace, Joy & Love,

Mare

Prayers to Jesus:

Anima Christi:
Soul of Christ, sanctify me; Body of Christ, save me; Blood of Christ, inebriate me; Water from the side of Christ, wash me; Passion of Christ, strengthen me; O good Jesus hear me; Within Your wounds, hide me; Separated from You,let me never be; From the evil one, protect me; At the hour of my death, call me; and close to You bid me; That with Your saints, I may be, praising you forever and ever. Amen.

Morning Offering to the Sacred Heart:
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day: for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of all our associates and in particular for the intentions of our Holy Father. Amen.

Sacrifice Prayer:
O Jesus, this is for love of you, for the conversion of poor sinners, and in reparation for the offenses committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. (This is a Fatima prayer.)

Jesus, I trust in You (say it anytime, but especially at 3:00 P.M.)

The Chaplet of Divine Mercy,
Is said in the presence of the dying, or at any time, specifically though at 3:00 P.M. Daily.
(Longer versions are available for those that attend Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.)

Optional Opening Prayer:
You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls,
and the ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world.
O Fount of Life, unfathomable Divine Mercy,
envelop the whole world and empty Yourself out upon us.

(Repeat 3 times) O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

-Begin with: Our Father, Hail Mary and the Apostle's Creed

-For each of the five decades (On each “Our Father” bead of the rosary, pray)

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

(On each of the 10 “Hail Mary” beads, pray)For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

-Concluding prayer (Repeat 3 times)
Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

-Optional Closing Prayer
Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.

Evening Prayer:
Watch, O Lord, with those who wake or watch, or weep tonight and give Your angels and saints charge over those who sleep. Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest Your weary ones. Bless your dying ones. Soothe your suffering ones. Pity Your affected ones. Shield Your joyous ones. And all for Your love's sake. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment