Translate

Monday, August 20, 2012

Yesterday, I Heard the Voice of an Angel

No kidding! Yesterday I was up very early, well for me anyway, and had my morning routine done by 9:00 am so I decided to go to mass earlier rather than later and attended the 9:30. Did you ever have one of those moments when something just elated you so much that you had to smile? Well I had one of those moments yesterday.

From where I was sitting I could not see the angel. I could not tell you if it was a boy or a girl, or their age. But what I can tell you is they might have been pint-sized in stature but certainly not in devotion. There was an adult choir singing at the mass, front and center of the church, but the angel had them beat  by a mile and sang every song as if it was being sung from the tip of his/her toes to the top of their head. The little angels somewhat squeaky voice  sang every single song and said every prayer clearly and crisply and with such innocence it was hard not to smile. I could just imagine the little finger pointing at each word as it was enunciated. It was just beautiful and uplifting and poignant.

Perhaps that is what Jesus meant when he said -

Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven - Matthew 18:3 King James Bible

When was the last time you attended service and sang the loudest (or even sang) and recited the prayers and thought of the meaning behind each word and understood or, at the very least, contemplated it?  I will admit I am not perfect either. On occasion I too have been known to mouth words to songs or not sing along as I did yesterday because I did not have them in front of me. We should all approach the church and the altar of God as brilliantly as that small child did yesterday. What an incredible service that would be.

If that beautiful little voice elated me to a new height I cannot even begin to fathom how it elated our blessed Lord Jesus, to whom he/she was singing and praying. All of us could learn from the little angel. Leave all the things of this world outside when you enter your church. Listen to the scriptures; do not just read them in the book. Close the book and listen to the words being read and those being preached. Sing the songs, even if you sometimes sound like a croaking toad as I often do. Approach the Eucharist with the reverence and grace that it deserves, regardless if you believe it is His actual body and blood or a reminder of His sacrifice. Keep the Sabbath holy. Attending mass on Sundays is a wonderful way for a family to spend a day. It is true - the family that prays together, stays together. I am not sure if services are mandatory for many of the Christian faiths, I suppose it is, however I do know it is for a Catholic. Nothing has changed in their doctrine since its inception. Sunday mass is mandatory and to not attend (sans illness or inability such as there are no churches in your area) is considered a MORTAL sin. That is a major no-no.

Let us all find time to be with our Lord here on earth and have the same passion for Him as the little angel.  He deserves nothing less than our undivided attention and our un-ending devotion. I have often said if you cannot find one hour a week to spend with Him, well then how do you expect to spend an eternity with Him? Let us all approach the altar of Our Lord with the same zeal, devotion and innocence as the little angel.  Have a blessed week.

Peace!
Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment