Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2012

St. Cecelia Spina Christi Rosary with Reliquary

Now that is a mouthful! Hi all! Business first and then I will kvetch. Gee I wonder how that will translate?

I have been in touch with Greg who has another wonderful find that he is looking to sell. He has a very rare rosary made of Spina Christi, which are a reddish-brown seed from a plant called the Crown of Thorns (spina Christi in Latin). It is a very old rosary and the centerpiece is St. Cecelia, who is the patron saint of singers, composers, musicians, poets and instrument makers. She is depicted often with a musical instrument, most often a piano. The only other one that I have come across in my searches for him dates this rosary to about the 1920s. It appears to be about 23 inches in length and the crucifix, including the pin is about 2 inches. the beads are about 9mm in size.
St. Cecelia Centerpiece





CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO ENLARGE
Most remarkable is that the crucifix is complete with a screw-in closure pin. When you unscrew the pin inside  is soil from the catacombs of the Roman Christian martyrs, one of which was St. Cecelia. I have included a picture of the rosary here for you to see as well as a close up of the centerpiece.  If you are interested in this item please contact Greg at greg@vipbug.com.  He is looking to sell this incredible, rare gem for $100. So get in touch with him!!

I had such an amazing evening last night when I went to a healing mass. My good friend, Fr. Basil said the mass which was a welcome treat as he is here from Nigeria and we only get to see him once a year now, since his studies are now completed here and he returned to his native country a few years ago. We still stay in touch via Facebook, but that is just never the same as seeing a good friend face to face. It was wonderful to receive Communion from him. But his homily is what touched my heart and those of the other worshippers. Now I had basically inched over to the church, which is right around the corner. My left knee rarely cooperates lately and the top of my right foot screamed with pain with each step I took. Slowly but surely I made my way around the corner, determined not to turn around and go home to watch the wrong person win Idol. I was incredibly bummed out yesterday because the doctor had my CPAP delivered to me yesterday and the tech taught me how to use it. Poor pitiful me.........and then came Basil. He told us of one woman in his town who had a horrid, rotting, body that was slowly being consumed by some unknown disease. She was shunned by the community, who rarely came near her anyway because of how she looked and smelled. Then one day this year those incredible beings, Doctors without Borders, came to her town. They did all kinds of tests on her and after years and years of decay and illness diagnosed her as simply being allergic to peanuts. They treated her and now her skin is as smooth and silky as dark brown chocolate. We dont feel well? We call a doctor, hop in a car and he takes care of us. We want to worship? We hop in the car or walk to our local church. We want food? We go to the supermarket and have an overwhelming assortment of food.  Clean water? Not a problem turn on your faucet. Fr. Basil reminded us of every one of those blessings.  So there I sat, for the first time ever, with my body wracked by 3 different arrythmias, fibromyalgia, neuralgia, Cushings Disease, 2 auto-immune diseases and yes, even having to squeeze my cheeks last night, feeling guilty that I had come to a healing mass. Then something amazing happened. The church was filled with the scent of lilies. Looking around I only saw 2 small plants on the altar. The scent lingered for the remainder of the mass and then dissipated when it was over. Amazing. I did not stay to be prayed over. I was there to pray for someone else and I know that the Holy Spirit heard my prayer and would send healing to that person. How did I know that? Because I walked briskly home.  We take everything for granted here in the U.S. Even our homeless people have more opportunities than people in most areas of the world. Getting on the soapbox now people. Wake up! Love your God. Love your neighbor. Love and have compassion for those in your community. These are the most important things in this world and who cares what the Kardashians are up to. Pick up a bible. Pick up a rosary and get your priorities straight. Count your blessings be they great or small. I consider it a blessing just to wake up in the morning. As Fr. Basil loves to say God is good all the time; and all the time God is good. What are you doing for him today? Stepping down now, 

Peace!

Mare

2 comments:

  1. I have one as well, but when you unscrew it theres 7 scrolls inside of it my email is bluedragon682@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize Richard. I have no idea how I missed this comment! How old is your cross and how large is it that it can accommodate 7 scrolls? That is a beauty of a find. Were you looking to sell yours as well?

      After seeing this reliquary I decided to treat myself to one with the catacomb soil in it. I just love it.

      Delete