Translate

Friday, March 23, 2012

Transfiguration Jesus from Knotts Berry Farm, CA














   



Boy, oh boy. This was one hot item last year, or at least I think it was last year. Actually No! It was Octoberish of 2010. I had a number of people contact me, the first one because I think that God had a hand in directing her to me; The remainder because I mentioned this picture on the blog a long time ago (after that initial contact). Once I saw this item for that first time and had it in my own hot little hand it got my wheels turning. I have never stepped foot in Knotts Berry Farm or in California for that matter but I just had to get this souvenir for myself. I found mine on where else but Ebay. It came with the postcard attached here of the Little Chapel by the Lake. The original portrait, done by a man by the name of Paul V. Klieben, was copyrighted in 1943 and housed in that same little chapel. I read that the chapel has been either torn down or moved to make room for a new roller coaster, so I do not know what happened to the portrait. But this is just the coolest thing. If you do not know anything about it let me illuminate you. If you hold the picture of Jesus up to a strong light and then turn the lights off not only does the picture glow, His eyes open as well! You would never be able to tell that happens by looking at the picture, so I am absolutely amazed that Mr. Klieben could accomplish something like this in 1943!! Well, at least I, of the stick-figure drawing public, am amazed.

Now mine isnt in pristine condition, like the others that I located, but simple pleasures make me very happy so I love it just the way it is. If you have any comments to share or memories of this incredible Transfiguration Jesus well then share them! If you know what became of the Little Chapel by the Lake and the original picture share that as well! Mine is NOT for sale but I decided to share it with you and see if I could get more info on it. I heard many comforting stories about children having it in their rooms when they were young, Him bringing light to the darkness, so we like to hear those comments as well.

Wherever you are, have a terrific and pleasant day......and thank you, Donna, for being the first to reach out to me to look for this. I hope all is well in your world!

Peace

Mare

P.S.: I apologize, but it seems that the apostrophe (and the delete key) on our keyboard has taken the month off. We hope you dont mind.

 

19 comments:

  1. On my first visit to Knox Berry Farm was in the summer of 1952. I shall never forget the chapel that had the transformation of Christ. As the light would, dim the doors would open and the transformation appeared with the history of Jesus, I still have the reading of that history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just beautiful Luchen. What a nice memory. Do you know if the chapel is still standing? I often get asked that question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to still have mine. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to visit this lovely little Chapel from the time I was 8 til 16 years old. I wanted to get married there in front of that painting. They played "Moonlight Sonata" as the lights dimmed snd Christ's image sppears until His eyes opened. I loved it snd spent as much time there as possible. When His eyes opened they would look directly at you - no matter where you sat. I tested that as a child snd it proved true. Don't know how they did that. I also kept that flouescent light card of Christ right above my bed forever until it fell apart - felt safer that way! Thank you for letting me walk down this lovely memory. I wish I could find one of those cards, but they probably are being loved and cherished forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful memories and what a great song to play too. This is exactly the type of comments I was hoping to get on this amazing piece of art. I do still come across these on occasion. If I do find some (or one) in the near future, I will certainly get in touch with you both. You just never know! I no longer have the one that I referred to in the post. It is now in the hands of someone who cherishes it. Maybe I will get lucky and find one for you both too. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the early 70s in my early teens, my friend and I went to Knott's Berry Farm every Friday night (Knott's had no walls, and was free entrance). We always visited the Little Chapel by the Lake and watched the doors open to reveal Christ, and then the light would dim, and His eyes would open, the most beautiful eyes. It is such a warm-fuzzy memory. If it was still standing, I would go to Knott's just to go to the Little Chapel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice it must have been. Can you imagine a little chapel on the grounds of the attractions today? I can't. That is a beautiful memory to hold on to!. We have a little chapel here on the island that is open 24/7 and the only light in it is from the candles that people light. I love that place and I am sure that it gives me the same feelings of peace that the Little Chapel by the Lake gave you.

      Delete
  7. I'll be 79 shortly and I still have my card which was dated 1943 That was about the time I got mine. It still glows in the dark and now it's going to my 6 year old Grand Daughter. I wish they were still available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm amazed at how they still glow, Ben. We have had a few pass through here over the last few years and it never ceases to amaze me. The artist was very gifted, indeed. What a lovely idea to pass it on to your granddaughter. I'm sure she will treasure it always. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a very young girl when I first saw the picture of Jesus. Moon Light Senota was the song that played when the doors opened slowly. It captivated me and to this day that song takes me back to the times I would go see the picture of Jesus. How He is my Lord and Savior and He lives in my heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's beautiful, Linda. I didn't know that music played when it opened, and that is a lovely one too. Thanks for sharing your amazing memory with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a flood of memories, and tears. (Didn't expect the tears!) We lived around the corner from Knott's Berry Farm when I was very little. I too sat in MANY different spots, just to see if Jesus' eyes would follow me everywhere. They did!! I LOVED going to the little chapel. When I six, I took my little tri-fold copy of Jesus with me when we move to Congo/Zaire, Africa. I think that I had it at my bedside through high school. I wish I could find it now.

    I remember reading my great-grandmother's journal, describing what my mother said after going to the chapel for the first time on her fifth birthday (1946), "I just seen Jesus."

    I also remember searching out the chapel when I was in high school and college, then tucked in an obscure spot under towering rides, whenever I had a chance to go to KBF. I was so disappointed when I took my children there MANY years later, only to discover that the chapel had been torn down.

    Thank you for the chance to share these memories with others with similar memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful memory you have of the chapel though it's now gone. Occasionally the Transfiguration cards show up for sale on sites like Ebay, Etsy and Amazon. I'm often on the lookout for them for people that have contacted me. As a matter of fact I reached out to someone a week or so ago, as there was one on eBay up for bid. She lost the bid, but some lucky person got it. Keep you eyes on those sites but just be prepared, they are a collector's item and can be pricey. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories with us. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have posted the entire Transfiguration of Christ audio on the "old photos of Knotts Berry Farm" facebook group. This is the only audio i have ever been able to find on the Internet of this. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have thought about this for a long time and haven’t been able to find any info. :)

      Delete
  14. If you ever run across another Jesus Transfiguration photo card from Knotts Berry Farm Little Chapel, please let me know. I had one as a child and it brought me such peace. I would really like to find one.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye out on ebay as they show up there once in a while. They are getting more expensive as time goes on tho, just fyi. If I come across one, I will let you know.

      Delete
    2. I still have one and can't figure out why they are so treasured.

      Delete
    3. People are nostalgic.It reminds them of something good from their childhood.

      Delete